10/11/07

Sylvan Goes Postal







Well, fellow pack goat folks said this day would come. This morning Sylvan took me on. (Bringing in to question whether the surgery 3 days ago really did 'finish the job.')


I had decided today was the day to begin more rigorous enforcement of civility and discipline among the clamorous, demanding goats while each waited his turn to bottle feed. I had to get pretty rough. Nay, brutal. That's when Sylvan refuted his namesake. He did not agree with my decision on which order to feed the goats. (That is a huge topic in all goats' social structure.)


After I pushed Sylvan away harshly at one point and shouted "Get back!" he stared me in the eye while back stepping slowly, methodically, about 4 paces. With each slow step backward he stared more sternly at me lowering his head more each step. Then he raised his head in a wind-up motion, and lunged. I mean reeeelly lunged. Butted my leg hard!


I knew the time had come. This must be addressed immediately, firmly. I sat down, threw him down on his side next to me, covered his neck with my leg and held his legs with my hands. He went nuts. Shouting to his brothers. "Hey! See this? Goat abuse. This guy's gone nuts. Get him off me!" He screamed and hollered, pushed, pulled and strained, then bleated out some more dieing screams. He was suffering a violent death (of embarrassment) and wanted the entire planet to know it. But I held on tight so he could not move. This must be taken to its conclusion, or he'd be heck to deal with later. His three brothers crowded around pushing and shoving, confused and frightened.



After three minutes Sylvan regained his namesake. He relented, relaxed and rested. Went absolutely limp. I petted and rubbed him a couple minutes then let him up.


He was a new Sylvan.


In fact, the whole darn bunch of them just acted different on the hike we started on right then. My colleagues were right...it helps to do it in front of the others.


Anyway, Sylvan and I got along fine. He was gentle and responsive. He was suddenly Mr. Charming. His fall hunting-season fashion-wrap amplified the effect. Here's some pictures of Sylvan on the hike this morning after he and I discussed the leadership hierarchy.


For more information about Pack Goats and Over-the-Hills Adventures go to http://www.over-the-hills.com/